
For Parenting by Heart, Pinky Mckay http://www.pinky-mychild.com/
Motherhood and Creativity
Chrissy Butler
Birth and mothering has been the catalyst in finding a place of harmony where my life and art are woven together. Guiding the energy of my life into creativity is wondrously rewarding and certainly challenging.
I like to notice things that I experience: birthing, breastfeeding, playing dolls, washing dishes…. Anything and bring it into my artwork and my writing. I like to notice what is there and take a journey with it, draw it, paint it, read about it or have a conversation around it.
Artistically being a Mama is a creative soup; the challenge is often finding the right moments to create something. Each day has a different beat, some days in our family we like to learn together and other times we prefer to follow our interests alone. Often too these distinctions can’t be made, we just find a harmony where we are learning together and inspiring each other with our projects.
Children are wonderful at reminding us how to learn and how to live. I try to make art and live my life the way children learn, by one thing leading naturally to the next without coercion. My pursuits are neither more nor less important than the pursuits of my children and I am always trying to honour this. By understanding that building their tower out of blocks is just as important as my latest painting. When I remember to honour my children’s endevaours they immediately do so with mine.
I like to notice things that I experience: birthing, breastfeeding, playing dolls, washing dishes…. Anything and bring it into my artwork and my writing. I like to notice what is there and take a journey with it, draw it, paint it, read about it or have a conversation around it.
Artistically being a Mama is a creative soup; the challenge is often finding the right moments to create something. Each day has a different beat, some days in our family we like to learn together and other times we prefer to follow our interests alone. Often too these distinctions can’t be made, we just find a harmony where we are learning together and inspiring each other with our projects.
Children are wonderful at reminding us how to learn and how to live. I try to make art and live my life the way children learn, by one thing leading naturally to the next without coercion. My pursuits are neither more nor less important than the pursuits of my children and I am always trying to honour this. By understanding that building their tower out of blocks is just as important as my latest painting. When I remember to honour my children’s endevaours they immediately do so with mine.
1 comment:
Your work is gorgeous and I thought you might be interested in this:
an exhibition @ CAGE Art Space, South Kingsville Community Centre -
Call for artists!
To celebrate World Breastfeeding week the Westgate Region of the Australian Breastfeeding Association is creating a vibrant installation. All media welcome, photos, fibre, digital, clay, text, collage, knitting, glass, painting and sculpture etc. The only limit is your imagination and a circle 16cm across, multiple works welcome. Entry is free, a small commission applies. Six works will be selected to feature on a limited edition of badges to raise funds for volunteer activities that support mother's, babies and their families in the West. Entries close July 25. The exhibition will run for 6 weeks from August 1. A family friendly launch event will be held on Saturday August 16, 3-7pm. Enquiries please contact Michal Teague on 03 9317 5176 or artopia@bigpond.com.
Post a Comment